Thursday, June 28, 2007

Music In Focus Exclusive Interview with Young P!

We recently connected with upcoming emcee Young P, to get the exclusive look behind the scenes in the life of the FMG premier rapper. Set to release his debut street album "Elevator Music: The Rise to the Top" in early July, Young P is set to make hip hop history; carrying the FMG label on his shoulders. We discuss among other things his feelings towards the project, the initial feedback from the streets, as well as relationship with producer Cory "FOC" Harris among other things as well as future plans for FMG releases.

Shout outs to Young P for this exclusive interview for Music In Focus, allowing us to provide for you the for the long anticipated interview yall have been waiting for.

Music In Focus: We're in the building live and in full effect with none other than FMG's own, Atlanta's newest hometown hero: Young P, to chop it up with him about the debut album "Elevator Music: Rise to the Top", as well as everything else that’s been going on with you since the creation of FMG; Young P what's good?

Aw man I’m chilling, just living good man jus living

Music In Focus: You started off as a member of the group The Young Stars correct, tell us a little about that.

I was sent to Texas from Atlanta to live with my dad my junior and senior year. I started hanging out with these dudes that was on the basketball team with me(Madison, Clinton, and Jason) and one day FOC told us to come to the studio. Then the rest was history we started getting a local buzz we was nice to be just like 16 and 17.Im still Youngstars that’s a friendship for life it just started as a rap thing. Shouts out to them.

Music In Focus: So Young P let's get down to business homey, whats the situation like at FMG, as a newly formed label by Cory 'FOC' Harris, how did you come to being prepared to release one of the most anticipated street albums in recent history there?

Man, its great! FMG is like a street family more than a label, real talk. Me and FOC like best friends, and we got like a chemistry. It’s almost like we push each other to be better in a sense. So the album has no choice but to be good. He is a beast on the beast.

Music In Focus: The streets is buzzin right now about Young P, with tracks like the banger "Young, Fresh & Fly" and "Im Bout A Dolla" featuring Watts powerhouse Glasses Malone, what can fans expect from the upcoming album?

More than anything they can expect good music. It’s a mixtape but the time and effort put into is like and EP or an album. I got like 10 to 12 full length original tracks on it. Who you know put out a mixtape just giving away original tracks like that? Nobody! Its for the fans! Beats from FMG, I got slow, gangsta, flashy, man I got everything on there. Its hard!! Period.

Music In Focus: Alright, what was your thought process, during the recording sessions for the tape; any influential moments that helped shape the album?

Like currently Im in a situation I really don’t wanna be in. Im in college and yea I know im supposed to be here, but music is calling me. So from that stand point Im jus tryna make the hottest music I can so I can get a deal and out of this situation. Ha ha ha But the music from a whole is jus my feelings and perceptions.

Music In Focus: Where did the concept for the title Elevator Music come from?

I thought of it one day. I was like this is the music that im making while im going to the top. So the Elevator is a metaphor of my career.

Music In Focus: When I listen to the sampler tracks from "Elevator Music", I can honestly say I see you as a breath of fresh air for the Southern hip hop scene, its like that classic Southern sound has awoken and its voice is through you. Its sounds like you have special motivation to do this project.

Thanks man. I never heard “Breath of fresh air before!” Music is me man. Im nice as far as rapping. Not to sound arrogant or nothing, but I feel like im one of the nicest up and coming rappers. So I’m definitely trying make it to the point where no more bullshit music gets through.

Music In Focus: What's it like working with producers like FOC and Smitty?

You forgot Braze, its tight! Because, they are hungry as hell especially the younger cats. They know im gonna do what I can to make there beats come to life. FOC is like I almost have to impress him. So I try my best to do what I do. Because he has that golden ear. If he says its hot… Then its hot!! They want me to blow more than I do sometimes. My team is nice!!

Music In Focus: What was it like getting in the studio with artists like Glasses Malone, Young Lawless and Brooklyn's own Rob O?

I have never met any of them. They just work with me off of love. G.Malone has made so many moves for me and FMG. That’s my dude, if he ever need anything I got him. He a real nigga. Lawless is just young and energetic talent. He the truth. Rob-O is hot too, FOC put me down wit him.

Music In Focus: What's it like a typical day on FMG, you're surrounded by talent from Rob O, Tru Hustlas, Smitty & Braze to the executives like Pint, Rich Swagger & JMoney

We all get busy. Like I said it’s a street family. We got each other outside of music so it’s a rap. Everybody doin they job. We major now ha ha ha!!

Music In Focus: What can we expect from Young P and FMG in the future, as far as guest appearances and projects?

Well after me its Tru Hustlas and I feel there project will be as good or if not exceed mine. They’re beast. Shouts to them. Then FOC might be doin a compilation type thing. That’s it right now, but shit is poppin quick who knows.

Music In Focus: Is there any truth to the rumors that Young P has already begun preparing his sophomore follow up album?

Yea, Its basically my first album. No mixtape beats just me. Doin me. It should be done by DEC 07. Its called “Great Expectations”.

Music In Focus: Preciate the time Young P, we wish you much success with the Elevator Music project. Any last words for the fans before we call it an end?

Just get the mixtape and you will like it. I PROMISE!! Be easy and god bless.FMG!!

There you have it ladies & gentlemen, the one and only Young P. Make sure you support Young P and FMG and pick up a copy of Young P's "Elevator Music: Rise to the Top" available for exclusive download on July 1, 2007. Make sure to stay tuned for more exclusive interviews with Young P and other FMG artists and executives only at Music In Focus.

No comments: